For the chicken:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt + pepper
1 cup cornstarch
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
For the sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup white vinegar
1 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with oil.
- Cut your chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the cornstarch in a pie plate (or something similar). In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Coat the chicken pieces with cornstarch, then dip into the eggs.
- Heat your ¼ cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides but not cooked through.
- While your chicken is cooking, whisk together all ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- When chicken is browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to the prepared baking dish. Pour the sauce over top.
- Bake for one hour; stirring the chicken every 15 minutes. Serve over rice.
500g (1 lb) frozen berries [e.g. strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, black currants, red currants, etc.], partially thawed
30ml (2 tbsp) caster sugar
300ml (½ pint / 1¼ cups) freshly squeezed orange juice
60ml (4 tbsp) single [light] cream [optional]
- Tip all but a few summer fruits into a blender or food processor and add the sugar and orange juice. Blend until smooth, adding a little more orange juice if the mixture is too thick.
- Pour the smoothie into 3 tall glasses and, using a teaspoon, swirl a little cream into each glass. Top with the reserved fruits and serve with long spoons to mix the cream.
- If you do not want to squeeze the oranges, you can buy juice – but avoid the concentrated juices.
Makes 3 servings